Puff pastry hand pies with mushrooms, peppers and smoked turkey
Who doesn't like puff pastry pies? This time will filled some individual puff pastry hand pies with peppers, mushrooms, smoked turkey and cheese, making a great appetizer / snack we can enjoy in any occasion!
- 1 puff pastry package, 500gr/17oz
- 150gr/5.3oz (about 1 cup) common (champignon) mushrooms, in thin slices
- 80gr/2.8oz green bell pepper (1 medium sized), cut into small squares
- 50gr/1.7oz smoked turkey slices (about 5 slices), cut into small squares
- 250gr/8.5oz grated cheese (prefer a mixture of cheddar, edam, dubliner)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Preparation: Thaw puff pastry. If you can't find any package with individual pies already cut, you can buy the classic puff pastry sheets and cut 10cm/4inches circles from each sheet.
Sautee the mushrooms and the peppers in a nonstick frying pan, on medium to high heat, for about 10 minutes, until the moisture is evaporated.
Remove from heat and keep aside.
Put some nonstick baking paper on a medium sized baking pan, and start putting the pastry circles (image 1). Put 1-2 tablespoons of the peppers/mushrooms mix in the center of the circle (image 2). Add some turkey on top (image 3).
Cover with grated cheese, and brush with egg the edge of the circle (image 4). Do the same with the egg in another empty circle (image 5) and cover the first circle with the ingredients (image 6), pressing well the edges to make the two sheets stick together.
Brush the top with some egg.
Do the same with the rest of the ingredients and pastry circles. The ingredients are enough for 6-7 pies. Bake at 200 degrees Celsius (390 Fahrenheit) for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown. Let the pies cool down a bit before serving. Kali oreksi!
1. You can add feta cheese, or replace some of the ingredients with others, according to your liking.
2. Instead of using 2 circles of pastry for each pie, you can also do the following: Put a bit less stuffing in each circle, and fold the circle in the middle, creating half-moon pies. Be carefull to press well the edge to make it stick. This way, you can make more -smaller- pies.
3. They 're great for breakfast (serve warm)!