Fluffy creamy lemon pie
A lemon pie is always great as a dessert or while having your coffee or tea. It's quick and easy to make, it's light and fluffy and you 'll taste the lemon in every sweet bite!
- 1 puff pastry sheet, thawed
- 4 tablespoons of lemon zest (from 2 lemons)
- 3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 250ml (1 cup), milk, evaporated (preferably)
- 200ml (4/5 cup) cream (full fat)
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla (powder or extract)
- 100gr (5 tablespoons), brown sugar
- butter or margerine to grease the pan
For the frosting:
- 80gr (4 tablespoons) of sugar (preferably brown)
Preparation: Use some butter to grease a medium sized pan (preferably pyrex). Spread the pastry sheet and using a fork, pierce the sheet throughout its surface. Put some baking paper over the pastry sheet, and then place a metal small pot or skillet on top, to press down the pastry. Put the pan (with the pot/skillet) in the oven (middle rack) and bake for 10-12 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius (350 Fahrenheit). When you remove it from the oven, remove the paper and the pot and let the pastry sheet in the pan to cool down.
Whisk the eggs and the sugar in a large bowl. When the mixture becomes fluffy add the cream, then the milk, the zest and finally the lemon juice. Whisk until the mixture is smooth.
Pour the mixture in the pan with the pastry, and put it in the oven (middle rack) at 180 degrees Celsius(350 Fahrenheit) for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with the sugar (kept for frosting), and put it back in the oven for another 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let it cool down, to room temperature, before slicing and serving.
Serve with a cup of coffee or tea.
1. You can serve with some fresh whipped cream on top.
2. You can omit the vanilla powder if you don't have any. You can also replace it with mastic powder, having a diffent -but amazing- result.
3. You can use shortcrust dought (for tarts/pies). You must also bake it a bit before adding the cream filling. The result is quite different, but amazing nevertheless.
4. If you like a creamier result, you can double the quantity of the filling.
5. Be carefull; only use a metal pot/skillet to press down the pastry. Make sure it doesnt have any plastic handles.