Quails in tomato and red wine sauce
This week we 're cooking quails in tomato sauce with red wine and serve it with rice on the side. It' s a very special recipe really worth trying!
- 500gr quail/17.5oz or 1pound (4 quails)
- 1/2 cup olive oil (125ml)
- 2 medium sized onions (200gr/7oz), finely chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red (preferably) wine (125ml)
- 300-400gr/10.5-14oz tomatoes, grated (about 2 tomatoes)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- 2 whole allspice berries
Add the olive oil in a deep frying pan and put it on high heat.
Once the oil is hot add the onions and the quails, lower the heat to medium-high and sautee for 5-6 minutes, turning the quails on all sides.
Next, add the garlic and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
Then pour the wine and cook until it's evaporated, turning the quails sides frequently.
Finally, add the tomatoes and the tomato paste, the allspice berries and the cinnamon, lower the heat to medium-low and continue cooking for about 15-18 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
Serve with rice. Kali oreksi!
1. An alternative serving suggestion is with french fries.
2. You can also try this recipe with other game birds.
The quails you will find at the market are grown in special game bird farms.