Pasta with mussels
A dish full of flavours of the sea! Tasty, easy and quick to make!
- 500gr/17.5oz/1.1lb mussels without shells or 1kg/35.2oz/2.2lb half-shells mussels
- 1kg/35.2oz or 2.2lb ripe tomatoes, grated
- 1/2 bunch parsley (40-50gr/1.4-1.8oz), finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 glass of white wine
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup olive oil (60ml)
- 1 packet of spaghetti No.6 (500gr/17.5oz/1.1lb)
- 3 tablespoons butter or margerine
Preparation: Pour the grated tomatoes in a deep frying pan, add the tomato paste and stir for about 3 minutes on high heat (to evaporate most of the moisture). When the sauce is starting to thicken remove from heat and keep it aside.
In a large pot with salted water, start boiling the pasta. Cook it as much as you prefer.
At the same time, start cooking the mussels in a large pot:
Add the mussels, the wine and the garlic and put the pot on high heat.
When the wine is evaporated pour the tomato sauce, salt and pepper and reduce the heat to medium.
Stir well and cook until the sauce thickens.
Add the parsley and the olive oil. Stir well and continue cooking for another 2 minutes. The mussels are ready!
By this time you will have already cooked the pasta, so drain it and add the butter. Serve with the mussels and sauce on the top. Enjoy!
1. In recipes that combine pasta with seafood it's better to avoid grated cheese. We think it ruins the taste.
2. We suggest you use the Greenshell variety of mussels which is also affordable; You may also find it as "New Zealand mussels".
3. If you choose mussels without shells for the recipe, it's better to use a non-stick pot.