Indian chicken with yogurt and spices!
This time we wanted to try something ethnic and different. We thought about replacing the cream that is usually the main ingredient in many chicken recipes, with something else.
The moment we chose yogurt, creating an Indian style dish, was inevitable! The particular recipe, is in excess of spices, that are smoothened by the yogurt, and the basmati rice that served with the dish. So let's start cooking it!
- 800gr/28oz/1.8lb chicken breast cut into pieces 2cm thick
- 3 medium sized onions, finely chopped
- 4-5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 400gr/14oz Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
1 bowl with the following spices:
- 4 teaspoons of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon of sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons of coriander powder
- 5 teaspoons of curry powder
- 2 teaspoons of salt
Preparation: Combine all the spices in a bowl. Half of the spices mix will be used in the beginning of the recipe, and the rest of at the end.
Pour the olive oil in a deep frying pan and heat it on medium to high heat. Once hot enough, add the onions and saute for 2-3 minutes.
Add the chicken and the garlic and stir carefully.
Cook for 5 minutes until golden brown.
Add half of the spices mix, lower the heat to medium-low and continue cooking for another 5-6 minutes.
Put the yogurt in the pan, stirring continuously. Continue cooking for 5 more minutes.
Add the rest of the spices mix and cook for another 5-6 minutes. Serve with rice on the side. Enjoy!
1. If you some of the dish is left, you can add the rice into the chicken mix and reheat all of it in a pan for 5 minutes, on medium to high heat, adding a few canned mushrooms. The result is equally tasty!
2. When adding the yogurt, if the result looks a bit inconsistent, don't worry! It's yogurt, not cream, and Indian food with yogurt, sometimes is supposed to look this way.