Delicious cuttlefish with rice and spring onions
This is a classic Greek recipe, cooked with a twist. We added spring onions and dill. The result is very tasty, light and is best served with a glass of ouzo!
- 600gr/21oz/1.3lb (6-8) cuttlefish (already cleaned and washed)
- 3/4 cups (180ml) olive oil
- 250gr/8.8oz rice (classic long grain)
- 200-250gr/7-8.8oz spring onions, finely chopped
- 35-40gr/1.2-1.4oz (1/2 bunch) dill, finely chopped
- 400gr/14oz fresh tomato, grated
- 3 1/2 cups (900ml) hot water
- 1 allspice seed
- 1 dry bayleaf
Add the olive oil in a medium sized pot and put it on medium to high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the cuttlefish and cook them, stirring often, for 10 minutes, until most of the water is evaporated.
Then, add the onions and sautee for 3-4 minutes.
Next, add the wine.
Cook for 2-3 minutes and add the tomato, the hot water, the allspice and the bayleaf.
Cook for 20 minutes (stirring often during cooking).
Then add the rice and lower the heat to medium-low.
After 10 minutes, remove the bayleaf and the allspice and add the dill.
Stir, and cook for 10 more minutes until the rice is ready.
Remove from heat and serve. Kali oreksi!
You can also use fennel (the green leaves) instead of dill. The result is also great.