Chilli con carne
When you think of Mexican food, this is one of the first recipes that comes to mind. A classic recipe for those loving spicy food!
- 400gr/14oz or 0.9lb ground beef
- 1 medium-sized onion (100gr/3.5oz), chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 100gr/3.5oz Poblano or Green Bell peppers, cut into thin slices
- 400gr/14oz tomatoes, chopped
- 100gr/3.5oz corn (frozen if you don't have fresh)
- 180ml (3/4 cup) olive oil
- 240gr/8.5oz red kidney beans (canned)
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder
- 4 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 9-10 drops of tabasco
- 4 mexican-style tortillas
- 100gr/3.5oz gouda cheese, grated (optional)
- 400gr/14oz full fat yogurt (try this recipe with Greek yogurt)
- salt, pepper
Pour the olive oil in a large frying pan and put it on high heat.
Add the onion and the sliced pepper and saute for 1-2 minutes.
Then add the garlic and the ground beef.
Using a large flat wooden spoon cut the beef into small bits and stir until brown.
Add the corn and cook until most of the moisture is evaporated.
At this point add the beans, and cook for another 2 minutes.
Then add the tomatoes and cook until most of the moisture is gone.
Finally, add salt and pepper, the cayenne powder, the tabasco and the paprika, and stir well.
On a second pan -again using high heat- put the tortillas and bake each side for a few seconds.
Serve on a large plate, adding the tortilla sliced into 8 pieces, the chilli con carne, and the yogurt seasoned with paprika. Provecho!
Adding gouda cheese is optional.
If you prefer a spicier result, add more tabasco and cayenne powder.
This recipe is based on a recipe for chilli by Yannis Baknis. We 'd like to thank him for his contribution.